Upper School Calculus classes learn “related rates” through hands-on competition
Upper School Calculus classes with Ms. Amy Smith and Mr. Josh Moore joined together to have a “Related Rates Competition.” The Calculus AP and Honors curriculum is laid out in a different order, but both classes had an overlap in content.
Related rates problems involve finding a rate at which a quantity changes by relating that quantity to other quantities whose rates are known with respect to time.
The teachers set up six stations for their students around the Russell Building and in their classrooms and broke their students into four teams which had one student from AP and one student from Honors. The stations included finding the related rate to the following:
- Docking a boat which we named SS Calc
- Between race cars
- A shadow as you walk away from a light source
- Rocks being dumped to fill a hole in the ground
The teams consisted of a mixture of students from each class.
- Team 1: Ansley Fine & Dominic Friend
- Team 2: Eddie Gaines & Conry Cabantac
- Team 3: Lexa Lyu & Hailey Gordon
- Team 4: Maurice Leon, Turiya Moka, & Trent McCauley
The students had so much fun learning the concepts in a hands-on way!