The Parents’ Group had one of its biggest turnouts ever at the first meeting of the 2016-17 academic calendar. Over 40 people attended the breakfast session on September 7 to discuss various items like classroom improvements, campus enhancements, and upcoming events.
“Having parents involved, both from the upper and lower school, does wonders for the school community,” said Denise Colangelo, who begins her first year as Parents’ Group president after taking over for Malia Bakken.
“The more and more people we can get involved ultimately helps all the children who attend Farragut. My child has been here for five years but it was only a couple years ago when I realized how much I can contribute by joining this group. Being a part of a group like this really allows parents to have a voice in what happens on campus.”
The Parents’ Group is active in many different facets affecting the campus and the community of Admiral Farragut Academy. For example, many parents participated recently in a campus beautification project to get the campus ready for the new school year.
More specifically, the Parents’ Group used funds raised during last year’s events to help improve four classrooms in the Michel Building, repave the Admissions’ parking lot, and replace the tennis courts with a new surface. In addition, the funds raised contributed to the purchase of two new vans, adding much needed transportation to our fleet of vehicles.
This school year’s calendar of events was also discussed with several exciting happenings in the works such as Pancakes with Pops, Mothers Hold a Key to Our Hearts, and the school’s big annual auction, Colangelo said parents can volunteer at all types of events. Parent volunteers are also needed for the used uniform store, The Lucky Bag, on a weekly basis.
“It would be great to have as many people as possible get involved,” Colangelo said.
“If we can keep up this momentum, then we are sure to have a fantastic year for all our children. I appreciate any and all input and suggestions. This is how we know how to better serve and improve our school.”
To volunteer or to find out more information about getting involved, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Calendar of Events
- Campus Beautification Days – TBD
- Friday, Oct 7 at 7:45 am – Pancakes with Pops for Lower School in Dining Hall
- Week of Oct 10-14 – Book Fair in the Roy M. Speer Student Center
- Thursday, Oct 13 from 5:00-7:30 pm – Pirate Themed Family Event at Book Fair
- Friday, Oct 21 at 8:30 am – Golf Tournament at Pasadena Yacht & Country Club
- Mid Nov to first week of December – Poinsettia Sale and Plant Pick up
- Saturday, Feb 4 at 6 pm – Father-Daughter Dance for Lower School in West Lounge
- Monday, Feb 13 at 7:45 am – Mothers Hold the Key to our Hearts in Dining Hall
- Saturday, March 4 at 6:30 pm — Annual Auction, this year’s theme is “Masquerade Ball”, held at The Club at Treasure Island
- Date and Time TBD – Mother-Son Adventure Course on the Al Ross Field
- Week of May 1st – Teacher Appreciation Events