The track team competed at its first meet last weekend when the BlueJackets squared off against 21 other teams at the Berkeley Track & Field Invitational, taking first in seven events. Girls took second overall, boys took seventh overall.
Here is the list of the first place finishers:
- Keyon Jenkins, Shot Put, 48-06.25
- Alex Gray, 200M, 21.94
- Alex Gray, 100M, 10.72
- Katie Barnett, Triple Jump, 39-00
- Katie Barnett, Long Jump, 17-02
- Ashaunti Brown, Discus, 120-00
- Girls 4×100 relay team (Katie, Jazmine Alderman, Faith Nelms, Sydney Bostick), 50.34
Second place and third place finishers included:
- Jazmine Alderman, 100M, 12.44
- Jazmine Alderman, 200M, 26.58 (third)
- 4×400 girls relay, (Katie, Faith, Ashaunti, Jazmine), 4:10.18
- Ashaunti Brown, Shot Put, 37-02
- Sam Baker, Shot Put, 45-06 (third)
BlueJackets track coach Arron Prather is excited about the beginning to the 2016 campaign.
“It’s a great start to the season but the exciting part is that I know all of these athletes have the potential to get even better over the next few months,” Prather said.
For Alex, who set a personal and school record in the 100 and 200, he has his sights set on eclipsing 10.30 seconds in the 100.
“I want to take it to another level this year,” said Alex, whose previous best in the 100 was 10.79. “I’m going to try and maintain this speed throughout the spring and see if I can at least break 10.50 seconds and hopefully get 10.30.”
Katie, who helped the relay teams set school records, also established a personal and school best in the triple jump with her leap of 39 feet.
“It felt really good,” said Katie, who also set the record for the meet. “It was a good start to the season. My goal was at least 38 feet so getting 39 was awesome. I want to get 40 feet so starting out like this sets me up for a solid season the rest of the way.”
The next meet will be at the St. Petersburg City Championship on Thursday at Northside Christian School.