Campus Safety and Security
Our Private School’s Top Priority
Admiral Farragut Academy ensures the safety and security of our students and our campus in the following ways:
- Armed police on campus
- Armed private security patrolling campus
- State-of-the-art campus surveillance
- Secured doors
- Incident response training
On-Campus St. Petersburg Police Department Resource Center
Farragut is partnered with St. Petersburg Police Department, by providing space on our 50 acre campus for a Police Resource Center. The Police Resource Center strengthens Farragut’s Security by:
- Providing administrative space for St. Petersburg Police Officers to complete paperwork, therefore, placing police officers within our campus.
- Increasing law enforcement’s visibility and access at the school and neighborhood level.
- Enhancing citizen contacts and encouraging communication with members of the community.
On our campus, they have completed comprehensive police response trainings, tactical trainings and advised on school security and protection programs designed to meet the specific needs of our unique 50 acre private school campus environment.
ARGUS Global Executive Protection
Farragut is partnered with Argus Global Executive Protection, an industry leader in developing and instituting innovative and effective security solutions. On our campus, they have implemented school security and protection programs designed by Farragut and Argus, and tailored to meet the specific needs of our unique 50 acre school campus environment.
ARGUS handles all of the following items:
- Calls for service from the school and in coordinating the response of other police resources.
- Provides leads and information to the appropriate investigative units.
- Takes action against unauthorized persons on school property.
- Serves as liaisons between the school and the police and providing information to students and school personnel about law enforcement matters.
- Develops incident response systems.
- Develops and coordinates emergency response plans (in conjunction with other emergency responders).
- Incorporates law enforcement onto school crisis management teams.
- Develops protocols for handling specific types of emergencies.
- Rehearses such protocols using tabletop exercises, drills, and mock evacuations and lockdowns.
How did ARGUS and Admiral Farragut Academy create a safety plan?
First ARGUS conducted a comprehensive audit of Admiral Farragut Academy’s physical campus, existing facilities, operations, physical security measures, security and emergency management procedures, program implementation, and worked in cooperation with Farragut staff to restructure and redesign our policies and procedures for maximum performance.
Why this program?
One of the unique characteristics of the ARGUS School Safety Plan is its emphasis on proactive community interaction and identifying and resolving potential issues of conflict before problems escalate toward violence. While trained and prepared for crises ranging from medical emergencies to physical assaults, one of the primary roles of the officers is to know the Admiral Farragut Academy community and support all aspects of school safety operations without disrupting normal school activities. The personal character of the officers and the quality of their work in the school environment, combined with their ability to interact with every age level of students and adults, is the reason this program has proven successful for ARGUS and Farragut.
Who are the security officers?
ARGUS has a full-time team of School Protection Officers (SPOs) with unique skills, interests, and special training to serve not only as on-campus protection officers but leaders for the safety, security, and protection initiative.
Admiral Farragut Academy and ARGUS are pleased to join together to put to work this comprehensive school safety, security, and protection program enhancing all levels of safety for the school’s community.
Background Check Policy
Anyone working directly with the students at Farragut is vetted with a fingerprint, background, and reference check. Background checks also will be conducted on other personnel including substitute teachers, tutors, coaches, volunteers, and contractors in direct contact with students, including but not limited to criminal background check and drug-testing.) Read our background check policy at Admiral Farragut Academy.