Our Lower School curriculum nurtures children from Kindergarten to 7th grade. It also lays the groundwork for students to be able to digest, retain, and expand upon the rigorous college-prep curriculum they will master in the Upper School.
How are the Grades Organized?
- K-2nd grade students are in self-contained classrooms.
- 3rd-4th grade students are taught by two faculty members.
- 5th-7th grade students have one faculty member per subject and switch classrooms just like in the Upper School.
- Faculty teaching students in grades 5-7 teach their subject matter to their students for all three years of 5th, 6th, and 7th grades.
What is Departmentalization?
Following “schools of the future” trends, today the majority of the Lower School, grades 5-7, are configured by departmentalization.
- Since the teachers and students learn together for potentially three consecutive years, faculty learn each child’s strengths and weaknesses allowing them to more effectively reach each child through his or her learning style.
- Teachers find it easier to keep consistency when planning for curriculum integration, interdisciplinary units, field trips, and special activities for their students.
- Fosters greater support and communication between teachers.
Reading & Writing
Most young children are capable of quickly digesting multiple languages. As a school with students from more than 32 countries, Farragut is the perfect place to foster a cross-cultural understanding and love of language.
Student Center (Library)
Keys of Excellence
Character education is a learning process that enables students and adults in a school community to understand, care about, and act on core ethical values. Therefore, at Admiral Farragut Academy, we integrate our Keys of Excellence throughout the Lower School curriculum. Each month, a character trait is introduced to the students and each week the students focus on a specific behavior. The Keys of Excellence are respect, responsibility, self-control, perseverance, caring and kindness, sportsmanship, courage, integrity, patriotism, and citizenship. These character traits are discussed in groups and between students to pave the road for success both at Admiral Farragut Academy and in their future endeavors. Learn more!