Congratulations to 16 of our 12th grade English students who won for their poetry, short story, and essay entries in the southwest regional Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. The Gold key winners will continue and their entries will compete nationally. The National Medalists will be announced on March 14, 2016.
“This year, we had more students win than ever before,” said Mrs. Ewing, 12th grade English instructor. “I am so proud of our student and their enthusiasm towards English.”
Since 1923, the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards have recognized the vision, ingenuity, and talent of our nation’s youth, and provided opportunities for creative teens to be celebrated.
Selections from the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards are published in the National Catalog and The Best Teen Writing, which are distributed free of charge to schools and libraries nationwide. Works have also appeared in Scholastic publications including The Best Young Writers & Artists in America (PUSH), Scope magazine, Junior Scholastic magazine, Scholastic Art magazine, and New York Times Upfront magazine.
Scholastic Art and Writing Southeast Regional Award Recipients:
- Andrew Guo – Sci Fi Gold
- Kollyne Thomas – Poetry Gold
- Elizabeth Gaskins – Critical Essay Gold
- Sasha DeSilva – Poetry Silver, Poetry Gold, Short Story Gold
- Franceska Akel – Memoir/Personal Essay Honorable Mention
- Ashaunti Brown – Poetry Honorable Mention
- Drew Geralds – Poetry Honorable Mention
- Tony Huang – Short story Honorable Mention
- Kenny Stutts – Short story Honorable Mention
- Alyx Wilkins – Short story Honorable Mention
- Melanie Andrion – Sci Fi Silver
- Maiya Fudge – Poetry Silver
- Andrew Futcher – Sci Fi Silver
- Sarah Schleich – Poetry Silver
- Sarah Weiss – Poetry Silver
- Jhonnelle Young – Poetry Silver